Training: Where the Wild Things Are
Please see the written information below the video.
To play the video in sync with the voiceover instructions:
- Type the password in to the video if required
- Press play on the voiceover
- Listen to the spoken instructions, and press play on the video when instructed
View this on Vimeo
We have more tracks than usual in the Wild Things album. (This was the first workshop we made, and we've tried to simplify things since then.)
1. Pack up – warm up
2. Nirvana – this can be used for the space game getting them to move as Wild things or use dance of the knights
3. Benny Hill – wild thing to wild thing game
4. Carnival of the Animals aquarium – section 1 furniture turning into trees and into the boats or individual boats. This track is useful for KS1 to give them more time to explore and get into their boats.
5. Dance of the knights – section for the Wild Rumpus dance, you can also use this for space game
6. Carnival of the animals fossils – last section from rolling up with a sad face
7. Aquarium, knights fossils – The whole dance
Bringing Books to Life - Where the Wild Things Are
1) Warm Up
a) Space Game (yr 3 upwards/ R & 1 just get them to move in diff ways not touching)
b) Wild Thing to Wild Thing (Reception & Yr 1/2)
10 Second Game (Year 3 upwards)
Reception, Year 1 & Year 2
Talk briefly about book and show them.
Explain how story starts in Max’s bedroom and we are going to create the furniture that’s in his room
Ask What furniture they could be and get them to make the shape with their bodies.
Then we work through story all doing the same.
4x8 To change from their bedroom furniture into Trees
2x8 To run to a partner make a boat and row to the Island
1x8 Hatch into Wild Things
3x8 Moving as Wild things (discuss different sizes, levels etc..)
1x8 Put on crown as Max is made King
2x8 Walking giving the royal wave
Into Choreographed “dance” Section – Refer to Video Clips
2x8 Thriller section into over the puddle!
3x8 Lonely & sad, looking for home
1x8 Sniffing the soup
1x8 Rub tummy, give back crown
1x8 Run back to boat (on own)
1x8 Row back home (different speeds)
1x8 Eat soup
1x8 Yawn and go to sleep
Talk about “Dress Rehearsal” then get Teachers to watch as audience. They all take bow at end.
Year 3 Upwards
At end of 10 Second Game have them in number so that there can be 6 groups (this means they can perform to each other at the end)
2 groups become Group 1, 2, & 3.
1 2 3
1 2 3
Explain bit about story and how going to tell the story between us.
Each group makes a freeze frame of each part of the story
- Group 1 = The furniture in Max’s room that turn to trees
- Group 2 = Max moving around in his bedroom then getting into bed
- Group 3 = Wild Things
￼Group 1 have:
- 3x8 Move from furniture into trees
Group 2 have:
- 1x8 Wander into Bedroom (group 1) thinking
- 2x8 Rowing in boat over to Island
Group 3 have:
- 1x8 To become Wild Things
- 2x8 To start moving as Wild Things
- 1x8 All move as Wild Things
- 1x8 Put on Crown
- 2x8 Royal waving and all bow
Into Choreographed Section.
Perform for teachers and in front of the other group.
COOL DOWN – Simple Breathing